Many people complain about the poor sound from their music system, home theatre, or TV. This will also affect high-quality systems that are for good performance. Upon investigation, many learn that it wasn’t the television, home theater, amplifier, soundbar, or speakers that were at fault but it’s due to bad speaker wire. It will affect the transmission of sound, have poor connectivity, or has broken internally thus increasing the resistance. If you are scouting for wires for connecting a sound unit to speakers, then you should read this review to the end. We have summarized the best speaker wires the market is offering.
List of Top 7 Best Speaker Wires in 2018
#7 AmazonBasics 16-Gauge Speaker Wire – 50 Feet
The audio quality of your home theater, TV, A/V receiver, stereo, amplifier and other sound systems will be better with this speaker wire. It is 50 long and can be used to link many devices and components. The item is covered with a flexible plastic jacket and can be twisted or coiled without breaking and is more tolerant of interference and signal distortion. It has a white marking on one side for quick identification and to prevent confusion during use. The 16-gauge wire is covered in a plastic wrap for easy transportation and to avoid entanglement.
#6 Pyle PSC1250 12 Gauge Speaker Wire, 50 Feet
This wire from the Pyle brand connects speakers to Surround Systems, Amplifiers, Home theatre, TVs and more. The 12-gauge unit has a proper thickness to prevent excessive stretching which can lead to breakage. It’s also tolerant of interference, heating and supports good electrical flow. It is 50 feet in length and is useful in many situations at home, studio, business premises and more. You can use the bare ends after stripping it or connect to crimp connectors. Removing the plastic jacket is simple, and one side has a red marking for identifying polarity. It is wrapped around a plastic spool for convenience and easy dispensing.
#5 GearIT Pro Series 16AWG Speaker Wire Cable (30.48 Meters/100Feet), White
With this white wire, connecting sound systems to speakers is not only convenient but also delivers excellent results. The white colored wire has a thickness of 16 gauge and a flexible plastic jacket for protecting the core. It is 100 feet/30 meters in length and covers a large area. Cutting the wire is easy, and you can connect the unit directly to the exposed wires or use crimp connectors or clips. The Copper Clad Aluminum has better resistance to distortion and interference compared to other types and is more reliable. The conductivity is also a notch higher, and this delivers high fidelity sound.
#4 AmazonBasics Speaker Wire – 14-Gauge, 99.9% Oxygen-Free Copper, 100 Feet
This 14-gauge wire has good electrical flow for good transmission of an audio signal. It has a 99% oxygen-free copper core that is covered with a plastic jacket. It works with most components and devices including amplifies, A/V receivers, TVs and home theaters. The wire is 100 feet/ 33meter long and is color-coded (black and red) for easy identification. It is more tolerant to signal distribution and interference and is also very flexible. The CL2 rated product comes wrapped around a plastic spool, and this makes dispensing easy. It cuts smoothly and connecting to crimp connectors is also easy.
#3 RCA AH1650SR 50 Feet 16-Gauge Speaker Wire
The RCA AH1650SR wire has a length of 50 feet to cover even long distances. It can also be cut into smaller pieces to suit small gaps. Crimping the bare ends of the wire is easy, and it has good connectivity for the best audio quality. It is also flexible and lightweight for convenient coiling or passing around objects. The core is made of premium copper material and is coated with a plastic sheathing to protect it against dirt, moisture, and interference.
Furthermore, the 16-gauge wire can handle a range of temperatures and is resistant to cracking or becoming too hard. It is rolled around a plastic spool for easy dispensing. For the best results, you should use high-quality connectors such as gold plated ones.
#2 AmazonBasics 14-Gauge Speaker Wire – 50 Feet
Expect quality sound when using this speaker wire from AmazonBasics. It comprises a copper core and with a plastic jacket. The 14-gauge unit is 50 feet long and suitable for most audio equipment such as amplifiers, A/V receiver, and stereo systems. One side has a white marking to help you identify the polarity and for easy setup.
On top of that, the plastic jacket blocks any interference or unwanted signals and also protects the wire from moisture, stress, heat, and other things. Like other wires, it is also coiled around a sturdy plastic spool for convenient use and transportation. Crimping the ends or inserting it in connectors is simple due to its thin and flexible nature.
#1 InstallGear 14 Gauge 100ft Speaker Wire
Coming in True Spec stranded wire, this speaker wire from InstallGear is among the reliable pieces on the market. The 30.5meter/ 100 feet long wire is stranded for extra strength and durability. It has a Copper Clad Aluminum Conductor (CCA) which performs better than the ordinary ones in regard to conductivity, resistance to interference, and sturdiness.
Similar to other top wires, this wire is protected by a robust, flexible plastic jacket. The Soft Touch cable can be coiled and twisted with ease and won’t brake internally. It has a rugged Black/Blue jacket made of PVC and is perfect for different equipment. For easy identification of polarity, the plastic jacket has two colors.
Also Read: Tips For Connecting The Speaker Wires
Important Features to Focus On
Looking at these factors will assist you to make a good decision:
- Core Material: of the different materials used to make the speaker wire’s core, copper is the most popular. It’s loved for its low resistance, good connectivity, resistance to corrosion/rust, and durability. The audio quality will be better if you use gold plated connectors.
- Gauge: This means the thickness of the wire and is stated in AWG (American Wire Gauge). You will see AWG 10, AWG12, AWG14, and AWG16 and so on. The lower the number, the thicker the wire. A thicker piece has lesser resistance and is also more tolerant to cuts, bending and breakage. However, it will be more costly.
- Length: Just because the wire is sold in a roll doesn’t mean you should use the longest length. This will not increase the cost but also reduce the responsiveness. You ought to know the distance between the speaker and the tuner, amplifier, or receiver and then confirm it again before cutting. Varying the speaker’s location is a good move to reduce the wire length.
- Flexibility: A good product is very flexible and can be rolled, twisted, curved and passed between obstacles without tearing or the strands coming loose. Usually, a thinner wire is more versatile than a thicker one. Nevertheless, you shouldn’t sacrifice flexibility for quality.
- Cost: The wires come in different prices which are ever changing. A good product will last a long time if used well and it doesn’t make sense to purchase a very long wire or spend too much money. There is quite a number of good quality and the affordable unit as you’ve seen in the above reviews.
- Interference Resistance: The best speaker wires feature a good sheathing/covering to block waves or interference. This provides a seamless flow of the signal and minimizes sound distortion. Consumers and analysts will give opinions in regards to how well a product commits interference.
Bad speaker wires are what may be standing between you and quality sound. It may have lots of resistance and will affect the sound quality, the connectors may not maintain a tight grip, or the wire may be too thin or prone to breaking internally. A good product has the right length and thickness, is resistant to breakage and corrosion, and interference or frequencies rarely affect it. The above products are the best and will work well with amplifiers, television sets, home theaters, speaker units and other accessories. Besides quality audio, good wires are long-lasting.