Are you looking for the best drill bit sharpeners? If so, then you may be interested in reading this article. A drill bit comes handy in boring holes in metal, wood, concrete, rubber, plastic, and many other materials. A right type will not only bore fast but will also last a long time. Nevertheless, even the best will lose its sharp edge after some time. And continuing to use it when blunt will not only affect performance but also may damage the drill. This is because you will need to use more effort, and the bit will have lots of friction that creates heat instead of drilling as desired.
Rather than buying another bit, you can save money and time by simply sharpening the unit. A good machine will return it to its earlier form and extend its life and usefulness. The following are the best drill bit sharpeners in the market:
The List of Best Drill Bit Sharpeners In 2020
Last update on 2020-11-24 at 01:11 / Affiliate link / Image from Amazon Product Advertising API
#7. Multipurpose Power Drill Bit Sharpener
This high-speed sharpener will return your drill bits back to their original sharpness. The 70-watt unit runs on 110V AC power and has good power to handle even the toughest materials. The unit can be adjusted to control different thicknesses and tip angles and runs smoothly to ensure the bit is functional.
On top of that, it can reach a top speed of 4800RPM and can handle widths of 0.25 up to 2 inches. Other than drill a bit, this unit is also useful for sharpening a plane blade, straight edge chisels, and scissors.
#6. D4144 Drill Sharpener
Sharpening drill bits is easy and safe with the D4144 sharpener from Woodstock. The simple device delivers good service and also last for a long period. It’s built from durable materials to handle even the tough materials and delivers precise cuts to restore the bits to their original state.
Additionally, it can handle drill bits ranging from 1/8 up to 3 / 4 inches and runs smoothly. Thanks to the good adjustability, you can easily and conveniently choose the best rotation and angle of the bit. It also has a solid construction to handle regular use, impact, and high speed.
#5. X Drill Bit Sharpener
By: Drill Doctor
If you want a reliable and easy to use drill bit sharpener, then this unit from Drill Doctor is perfect. The DD500 X unit is built using the latest technology for fast and accurate cuts. It’s made of durable and strong materials to handle the stress and frequent operation.
According to the company, this sharpener is ideal r drill bits ranging from 3/32 to 1/2-Inches and is thus suitable for most common uses. The maintenance-free accessory is good for 118- or 135-degrees tips and has a pre-calibrated drill bit length for improved accuracy. It’s easy to use and comes with minimal frills for maximum efficiency.
#4. Sharpening Wheel (100 Grit)
By: Drill Doctor
If you are searching for a replacement grind wheel for your drill bit sharpening machine, then this product should serve you well. The 100-grit unit will take care of drill bits, chisels, and plane blades as well. The grind works with 1/ 2 to 3 /4 –inch drill bits and is very easy to install and use. It’s built from diamond bits and will sharpen even the hardest products. You can use it for TiN, HSS, Cobalt, and Carbide drill bits among others. When handled as recommended, this sharpening well will serve you nicely for a long time.
#3. Drill Bit Sharpening Jig Attachment
This bit sharpener should make its way onto your workshop, garage, home, or any other place. It’s a good choice for amateurs and professionals because of its simple design and easy operation. The unit will conveniently sharpen wood, metal, concrete, and other kinds of drill bits. The 4-facet point can handle drill bits from 3mm (1/8-Inch to 22mm (7/8-Inches). It has a sharpening angle point of 90- 150 degrees and has an adjustable clearance angle.
Moreover, the adjustable mechanism handles different sizes and runs very smoothly. The durable chuck and jaws provide a good hold on the bit while the strong motor shaves off the unwanted material. Thanks to the easy steps, you don’t need to be a pro to operate it or go through many tedious steps.
#2. 350X Drill Bit Sharpener
By: Drill Doctor
The 350X Drill Bit Sharpener from Drill Doctor is what you need to restore the sharpness of a drill bit. The sturdy unit can handle 3 /32 to 1 /2 –inch units with no problems. It works with most standard units including TiN –coated, H.S.S, Carbide, high –speed steel, and masonry nits. It features a Set Point angle of 118 degrees and a front-loading chuck for smooth operation and convenience.
Furthermore, the V-lock jaw provides a tight grip on the drill bits to prevent movement during operation, and this delivers accurate cuts. The unit delivers consistent speed, power, and performance regardless of the load because of the permanent magnet motor.
#1. 750X Drill Bit Sharpener
By: Drill Doctor
The DD750X Drill Bit Sharpener is not only practical but also easy to use. You simply place the bit on the jig and align it as recommended. The unit locks the bit securely and will ensure only the selected material is removed. This is improved by the long jaws that maintain a firm grip on the bit.
More than this, the easy-to-turn chuck boosts efficiency and convenience while the permanent-magnet electric motor delivers excellent power to handle different material types. The die-cast point shuttle and metal split-point are strong and also long-lasting. It offers you several options in regards to the sharpness, angle, and position. It’s up to you to ascertain which will work best for the bit and you. No wonder this is the best drill bit sharpeners.
Picking A Good Drill Bit Sharpener
To minimize errors, you need to consider these things when searching for a sharpener:
- User Friendliness: Operating the sharpener should be simple. Set the angle, place the bit, and let the machine do its work. The simpler the operation, the more user-friendly it is. Reading reviews or trying the units before purchasing will give you an idea of the machine’s user-friendliness.
- Noise: You don’t desire a machine that sounds like a tractor or an old diesel generator, nor do you? Top products not only run smoothly and seamlessly but produce minimal noise. This maintains the silence and peace in the surrounding.
- Holder Size: A good sharpener will accommodate the drill bit without any constraints. It won’t feel too loose or too tight. The best types can be adjusted to handle different bit sizes. Some units are very complex and will work on a wide array of units while others are fundamental.
- Drill Bit Materials: You need to make sure that the targeted sharpener will be able to handle the material of the drill bit. The bits are made of di9ffernet materials like iron, steel, titanium among others. And if the sharpeners’ material is feeble, then it won’t be able to cut /sharpen the bit.
- Versatility: It pays to choose a unit that can handle different sizes and types of drill bits. It will be excellent for masonry, woodworking, metalwork, concrete, and other drill types. The harder the material of construction the more likely it will work with most bits.
- Adjustability: The angles of the drill bits vary from type to type. It’s necessary to choose a sharpener that can quickly and easily be adjusted abed to match the targeted bit. Determining the angle and position should be simple and straightforward.
- Reliability: An excellent item can handle different kinds of bits well and will also last for a long time. It won’t break down frequently or requires regular maintenance. Focusing on the material craftsmanship and engineering is essential.
- Affordability: The best sharpener isn’t necessarily the most expensive. Also, just because it’s cheap doesn’t mean it will give you poor service. With a bit of research, proper review, and comparison, you will get a high-quality piece that is well priced.
How to Use a Sharpener
Drill sharpeners work and operate in different ways. The following, however, is a general procedure that will work with most types:
- Step 01: First, place the bit into the jig or holder. Ensure it fits nicely so as not to take off too much material which obviously shortens the drill’s lifespan. Good machines allow you to adjust the spacing and angle for the best outcome.
- Step 02: Next, you should align the machine. How comfortable you do this depends on the machine design and also your experience. The very basic ones require you to hold the bit while sharpening while the more advanced types come with a setting or measurement for easy alignment.
- Step 03: Before starting the sharpening process, you should have an idea of how much material you want to get rid of. This is influenced by how worn out a bit is and also the kind of work you do. The bit material and type also influenced the decision. It’s better to remove little material at a time and do it severally rather than too much at once.
- Step 04: Confirm that the bit sits nicely against the grinding edge. Too much gap means you won’t be doing anything and a very tight fit will remove too much material and may also stress her machine. A good eye and experience come handy.
- Step 05: Run the bit sharpener for about 10 seconds as this has been proven to be effective for most drill bits. However, it is better to confirm with the drill bit or bit sharpener manufacturer to get it right. Reviews and talking to experts is also helpful.
- Step 06: Stop the machine and remove the bit to confirm it’s well-sharpened. If not, repeat the process until it suits your desires.
- NB: Before you use a unit, it’s essential to not only familiarize with the machine but also the bit in hand. You will note that the angles, points, materials vary, and each will require a different approach. For safety purpose, always remember to contact nearest experts if any serious problems arise.
Drill bits will lose their sharpness over time. Fortunately, you can always restore the sharp edge. All you need is the right one – one of the best drill bit sharpeners on our review list. In the above list, we have focused on the top products that will deliver excellent results. You’ll notice that they all come in a simple design for easy operation, are very versatile to handle different types of bits, produce minimal noise for convenience, and are easy to maintain.
Furthermore, they are crafted from a high-grade material for long-lasting service and reliability and are also affordable. Don’t let a blunt drill bit ruin your work or tool. Choose the best drill bit sharpener for quality service.